What is the Difference Between a DBS Check and an Enhanced DBS Check?

Are you aware of the distinction between a standard DBS check and an enhanced one? If you're looking for a job that requires a DBS check, it's essential to comprehend the differences between the two. A standard DBS check will reveal details of any convictions, cautions, and reprimands, while an enhanced DBS check will also include any extra information held by local police forces. A standard DBS check is only necessary for certain jobs, as listed by the government. It will show any convictions, cautions, and reprimands that are held on the Police National Computer (PNC).

This includes both spent and unspent convictions. It's important to note that even if a conviction is spent, it may still be pertinent to the job you're applying for. An enhanced DBS check includes all of the information from a standard check, plus any additional information held by local police forces. This could include information about your mental health or any other relevant information that the police chief deems necessary.

You can also opt for the 'DBS Update Service', which allows employers to check your certificate at any time and keeps it up to date. The DBS check is used to demonstrate that you are suitable to work with children or vulnerable adults. It's important to note that it's illegal for an employer to ask for a DBS check if the job doesn't require it. Let's take a look at an example.

Leila is applying for a new job which involves working with children regularly and without supervision. In this case, she will need to undergo an enhanced DBS check. Standard disclosure is more common in financial and legal sectors, while enhanced DBS checks are required for many educational and healthcare roles. Other professions that may require an enhanced DBS check include those related to leisure, transportation, and places of worship. DBS checks are considered to be one of the most comprehensive and efficient ways of verifying someone's background when used correctly.

If you're unhappy with the information that appears on your certificate, you can contact the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) who will be able to explain what you can do.